The bass guitar is the foundation of any musical instrument group. Bassists focus on major parts of the music, such as the rhythm, and the harmony of the song. The bass sound essentially brings the music to life. So, when is the prime age to learn the bass guitar?
Best Time To Learn The Bass Guitar
Perhaps you are wondering if your kid can play the bass guitar. Bassists typically begin starting to practice at the ages of 7 – 9 years old. Some children begin practicing with 4-string bass guitars, and on the other hand, some children find playing with 6 strings easier. Personal preference comes into play with this instrument. You are never too young or too old to start learning to play the bass guitar.
How To Tell If Your Child Is Ready To Play The Bass Guitar
The bass is generally a bit bigger than a normal guitar. Keep in mind this does require hand muscles, as the strings are bigger than a normal guitar and need more pressure to strum. If your child is unable to strum the guitar, do not worry as there are smaller ¾ basses perfectly suited for them as well.
7 Signs Your Child Is Ready To Play The Bass Guitar
- Your child has a natural rhythm to the way they do anything. For instance, the bass is an essential instrument to providing a rhythmic ground level to any song. If your child has rhythm, this may be an option to look towards as a creative outlet.
- The ability to focus for long enough to practice the instrument. With instruments, repetition is key to learning. If your child can focus for 30 minutes and beyond, it is likely they are ready to start lessons.
- Making time to practice is vital. Even after working with an instructor/teacher, the student will need to practice daily, individually.
- Having any form of motivation to learn this instrument is absolutely necessary in taking steps towards mastering the bass.
- When it comes to something as focused as this, it does require some form of maturity within the child to work with other children and/or instructors.
- Your child has good observational skills. Paying attention to the tiniest details and notes in the music will test these skills.
- Natural at playing any instruments. The bass guitar is the perfect instrument for children with natural gifts.
How To Play A Bass Guitar
- For starters, practice the harmony in which you play bass guitar. This is vital in mastering the rhythm of the instrument.
- Having the correct size bass guitar really can have a massive impact on your ability to play.
- Strength training for your hands is absolutely essential in helping you perform at your best when it comes to the bass guitar. Look into grip strengtheners, as these will dramatically help you.
- Practice strumming with a pick since this will be the go-to when eventually performing. This also eases the strain on your fingers.
- Play with other students that are better than you at playing the bass guitar. Surrounding yourself with others who work harder, increases the likelihood that you’ll improve.
Is It Too Late To Start Learning To Play The Bass Guitar?
In short, no. It is absolutely never too late to start playing the bass guitar or any instrument, for that matter. Yes, bassists can be as young as seven years old, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t learn yourself. So, yes, you are ready to start learning the bass guitar today!
CONTACT BENJAMIN IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MULTIPLE STUDENT DISCOUNTS!!!
FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE TIMES • PROVEN METHODS • BEGINNER TO ADVANCED
BASS GUITAR LESSONS REVIEWS & TESTIMONIALS
Ben is an amazing music instructor. I am a music producer and I have taken piano lessons from him for over 5 years. Highly recommended as he is very patient and easy to work with.
"I think it was a great first lesson for my 8 year old. He has been taking private lessons for the past one year but none of the instructors taught him the right technique to hold the pick, hold the guitar and placement of right and left hand. The instructor (Benjamin) seemed knowledgeable and had the right approach to teach a child. Definitely plan to continue taking these lessons and definitely recommend to anyone who is interested."
"Ben is an amazing piano teacher. He is energetic, outgoing and very patient. My daughter has really enjoyed her lessons over the last few months. He has kept my daughter excited about learning by his upbeat personality, but has also made sure she focused on the essentials of piano playing. Ben is very knowledgeable and as a parent, it is very comforting to deal with such a professional."
"With Ben's encouraging, patient and enthusiastic style of teaching I now know that I can learn to play guitar. As an older student I wasn't sure if I should endeavor such a challenge. Before I realized, I was learning, playing and understanding music."
"My son has only had his first lesson so far but the instructor was very good with him. He was so interested after the lesson that he continued to practice for another 20 min after the lesson. He is now very excited to learn more. Thank you!"
"Ben is a good guitar teacher. I have learned many things from him. He lets you take your time when you are trying to learn something and he will never rush you. I would suggest having Ben as your guitar teacher."
"I had my first lesson and am very excited and inspired by Benjamins enthusiasm and teaching style. He makes it a lot of fun! I am hoping his style will inspirer my daughter to take lessons."
"Ben was prompt and very friendly. The boys enjoyed the lessons and will continue on with Ben. He was great at being flexible to fit us into his schedule when it worked for us."
"Ben is very patient and knowledgeable. My son was very happy about learning to play a song after his 1st lesson. He is eager to practice and seems to really enjoy it."
"Benjamin was patient, friendly, and professional. He worked well with my kids and we are looking forward to next weeks session."
"Ben has so much passion and an amazing gift for sharing it with young ones -- my 6 year old son LOVED his first lesson!!!"
"Ben is an excellent and very supportive instructor."
"Ben is a great teacher. He keeps lessons interesting and fun!"
"Ben makes lessons fun and I also learn a lot!"
"Ben has been teaching guitar to my son for the past few months and I must say that, it has been great so far. Ben teaches various techniques which I see no other previous guitar instructor has stressed upon earlier and they are must for guitarist in order to develop good habits from the start. He makes sure in every class that my son is playing the guitar with correct form and technique. He's good with kids and makes sure they are comfortable and understanding the instructions. I always tell my son to learn as much as possible from Ben, he's a good teacher and willing to share his knowledge. Recently started piano classes as well for my daughter and so far going great. She's liking them. Definitely recommend if any one wants to learn music from Ben. At least give him a try."
"I had been meaning to get piano lessons for my oldest for a while and when I found Ben's ad on Yelp I sent him a message. He responded quickly and was able to fit us in at a time which worked perfectly for the both of us. He is very patient with my daughter and she has shown so much improvement over such a short amount of time. I can't believe how quickly she is picking things up and enjoying playing. She constantly makes up new songs throughout the day, adding to them and seems genuinely interested in continuing. He even likes to help her create new music to keep her interested. A much better experience than I had when I was younger. I am so glad we found Ben."